Monday, April 12

Advice from my Mom

(Mom - 1962)

We grow up to a barrage of little reminders - common sense quips that our moms tossed at us as we run out the door without a hat on. Important stuff, but not too memorable.

Lately, though, I've been thinking about the big advice. You know, those nuggets of truth that get filed away but stay with you, no matter what. And I've been thinking how, growing up, we might have heard the same little stuff, but the big stuff - the life advice that is so valuable - what if we haven't all heard that?

So, without further ado - I announce, "Advice from my Mom!"
(Mom and I, 1987)
"You have to pick your battles"
When I was in high school, I spent a couple of years frantically trying to stand up and fight for every single cause I found worthy. I was against unfair labor practices, large record corporations, eating meat, littering, global warming, you name it - I had a pin against it and I was ready to fight anyone who tried to disagree with me.

Frankly, it was exhausting.

I still remember the day my mom sat me down and said, "You have to pick your battles. If you are fighting all these things at once, you don't have any time left to be for anything. Pick what is most important, and focus on that first." 

Woah. It took me a couple of years to figure out that this little advice can be applied to all areas of my little over-achieving and over-commited life. Too much of a good thing can be very bad - and leaves me cranky and exhausted and spent. Her advice helps me remember that it's okay to say no to something if my week is too full, even if it sounds great. It keeps me sane and focused when it feels like everything is falling apart. Basically, "pick your battles" is advice that continues to guide my life today. 
(Mom and I - 2009)

So. What did your mom tell you that we all need to know? I'd love for you to share it with us! If you'd like to be a guest blogger, do send me an e-mail (helloauburnst@gmail.com). This is the important stuff.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails