Wednesday, September 8

 Last night, I finished reading Their Eyes Were Watching God, by Zora Neale Hurston, for a second time.
I love that re-reading my favorite books always feels like revisiting an old friend.

The words and story are familiar, but the pages hold new meanings or hidden gems that were forgotten.

For instance: 
"They gointuh make 'miration because mah love didn't work lak they love, if they ever had any. Then you must tell 'em dat love ain't somethin' lak uh grinsstone dat's de same thing everywhere and do the same thing tuh everything it touch. Love is lak de sea. It's auh movin' thing, but still and all, it takes its shape from de shore it meets, and its different with every shore."

I've been thinking about revisiting some other old friends lately... 

-A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith, which has been at the top of my favorites list since I was 15. 
- Light In August, William Faulkner
- The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers
- Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Sigh... this book is just so lovely!
- East of Eden will always, always be at the top of my re-read list. I did just read it again last winter though, and it's a bit of a commitment!

What books do you feel like you could read again and again?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails